Athletes By Design Cycle Club
The Athletes By Design (ABD) Cycling Club has grown to be one of the largest clubs in the Midwest. Originally focusing on the development of young talented Junior riders, ABD has now grown to include riders of all ages and at all ability levels. Today, the club works to develop riders of all ages and abilities and promote the growth of the sport of cycling through the numerous events they organize.
Mike Farrell and Al Gandolfi co-founded the Athletes By Design coaching firm in 1992 to help athletes reach their full potential. Through the structure and guidance of working with USCF certified coaches and former national-caliber athletes, Athletes By Design featured up and coming talent from around the Midwest, primarily elite-level junior riders.
Since then, the Athletes By Design Cycling Club has developed into a nationally recognized club that supports a competitive NRC Men's Elite Cycling Team, creates a productive environment for the development of young (junior) riders, boasts a large contingent of Master's level cyclists and provides an environment for all cyclists (both recreational and competitive) to enjoy their sport and become better riders.
Goals and Objectives :
ABD focuses on developing riders, not always focusing on results. Some of the highlights of the team include:
- A weekly club-ride on Monday nights from Prairie Path Cycles. The ride moves at an easy pace so as to allow the group to work on handling and fluidity
- "Off-the-Bike" functions throughout the year to help everyone put faces with the names
- A club e-mail group to keep members updated on upcoming races, training rides, club functions and race results
- A mentor program: the club tries to partner junior riders with a more experienced rider
- Discounts and support with equipment, clothing, and race entry fees
- The club assists in putting on 21 sanctioned races a year, including the annual Winfield Criterium Weekend, the MATTS indoor Time Trial Series each spring and the season wrap-up "Fall Fling" each October.
- All of ABD's events are geared to be as "rookie-friendly" as possible but also provide a level of organization and support the veteran riders deserve!
- ABD is proud to have strong backing from various individuals and organizations, including strong support from Prairie Path Cycles
If interested in joining the ABD Cycle Club please check out our Membership page.